Sunday 6 May 2012

Why Mint Debian is better than Ubuntu

After several very happy years with Ubuntu I’ve decided to do something special: delete it and install Mint Debian instead. Over the last 5 years or so Ubuntu has made massive strides and made Linux easy to install and relatively easy to use. The Linux user base has increased dramatically. Funnily enough, this is precisely why I have decided to change my distribution of choice.

 The thing I really love about Linux is the fact that it has taught me to become a better, more skilled computer user. If things don’t work ‘out of the box’ then you have to tinker to get them to work. This teaches you all sorts of things about how computers and operating systems work and interact, and in the process you learn valuable skills.

 After installing the latest version of Ubuntu (12.04 LTS) I twiddled my thumbs awhile and wondered what to do. While Ubuntu is easy to use, Unity (the default Ubuntu desktop) is not everyone’s cup of tea. I hate it. I have found that the simplistic interface and the lack of customisation have resulted in the kind of patronising arrogance shown by Apple and Windows: ‘we know what the consumer wants best. Do it our way or not at all’. I might install Ubuntu on my mum’s computer but it will no longer reside on mine.

 Installing Mint Debian was a breath of fresh air. Having to manually partition the drive and choose a root partition for installation, using a Cups server to install my Dell laser printer and get it working, configuring Samba shares and updating Thunderbird. No longer ticking boxes, but ‘getting under the hood’ and coming to grips with the way the operating system works. I’ll let you know how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed...